Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Midday office

Its a beautiful day today and I am starting to feel human most days again! Today I was so blessed to spend my first quiet time out on my new deck. Thanks Bevin for the cozy new socks! I hope you won't mind but as i was praying through the midday office today I feel the need to not just say it with my mouth but type it through my fingers also. I hope you are blessed by it as I am

The call to Prayer
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy Name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits

The request for presence
Show your goodness, O Lord, to those who are good, and to those who are true of heart Ps 124:4


The Greeting
You have set a banner for those who fear you
Save us by your right hand and answer us. Ps 60:4-5


The Refrain
Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him. Ps 33:8


A Reading
The a branch will grow from the stock of Jesse, and a shoot will spring from his roots. On him the spirit of the Lord will rest: a spirit of wisdom and understanding, a spirit of counsel and power, a spirit of knowledge and fear of the Lord; and in the fear of the Lord will be his delight. He will not judge by outward apperances or decide a case of hearsay; but with justice he will hudge the poor and defend the humble in the land of equity; like a rod his verdict will strick the ruthless, and with his word he will slay the wicked. He will wear the belt of justice, and truth shall be his girdle. Is 11:1-5


The Refrain
Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all who swell in the world stand in awe of him

The Psalm
Praise the Lord for his mighty acts; praise him for his excellent greatness.
Praise him with the blast of the rams horn; praise him with the lyre and the harp
Praise him with timbrel and dance; praise him with strings and pipe.
Praise him with resounding cymbals; praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.
Let everything that has breath praise the Lord, Hallelujah!

The Refrain
Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all who dwell in the world stand in awe of him.

The Gloria
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever, amen.

The Lords prayer


The prayer for the day
O Lord, you have taught us that without love whatever we do is worth nothing: Send your Holy Spirit and pour into my heart your greatest gift witch is love, the true bond of peace and of all virtue without which whoever lives is accounted dead before you. Grant this for the sake of your only Son Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Concluding prayer
Almighty God who has promised to hear the petitions of those who ask in your Son's name: I beseech you mercifully to incline your ear to me who have made my prayers and supplications to you; and grant that those things which I have faithfully asked according to your will, may effectually be obtained, to the relief of my necessity, and to the setting forth of your glory, through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen

320-329
Blue sky's
Beautiful backyard
New friends
Wonderful husband who never expects from me what I expect from myself
Parents
Family visiting!
Cooking!
Windows
Talented musicians
New Swing!

If you are wondering about the daily office, it is the 5 daily prayers that monastic orders gather for daily. many lay people also practice a habit of pausing in their day to stop 5 times a day for prayer and reflection. I have done this for periods in my life and I can not recommend it more if you want to change your perspective, and refocus your life on what counts. They are short simple prayers that can be done at your desk or the like, and the simple practice of making time for and turning your attention to the Lord 5 times a day will change your life. You can use the Common book of prayer of course, the prayers in it are longer, but I enjoy using a book called the divine hours. Or the same online.

No comments:

Post a Comment